Girl Power is a psychoeducational group for adolescent girls ages 12-17. Girl Power is interactive and designed to promote girls’ self-esteem. The girls in this group are involved in activities, guest speakers, discussion and field trips that are designed to empower teen girls to take an active interest and effective change in the community as well as their own lives.
You and your parents can find out more about this group and getting involved at: https://www.urstrong.com/Home/GirlPower/
Tips for Teen Self Esteem
1. Hang out with the right crowd. If your friends have high self-esteem, they can help you develop your own high self-esteem.
2. Keep a list of your accomplishments. If you write down everything you’ve accomplished in a day, no matter how small, you can see just how motivated you are.
3. Stay healthy. If you keep your body healthy, your mind will follow!
4. Give yourself a chance. Don’t be so hard on yourself if you fail. Turning your failure into something to learn from will help turn the situation around.
5. Recognize when you’ve made a good choice. Make sure to give yourself credit when you’ve achieved something, no matter what it is.
6. Don’t stress yourself out if something didn’t go your way. Sometimes things don’t work out, but that’s not the worst thing! Don’t be afraid to try something more than once.
Girlshealth.org offers girls ages 10 to 16 reliable, useful information on health and well-being. They cover hundreds of topics, including getting your period, stopping bullies, and getting fit. They make their pages clear and fun, and make sure to answer key questions girls ask. Girlshealth.gov is committed to empowering girls to create strong, positive relationships and happy, healthy futures.
You can visit their website at: http://www.girlshealth.gov/
Activities for Teens
Oh My Girls (OMG)
140 Jericho Turnpike | Syosset, NY | 516-802-5800
516-802-5800 | ohmygirls.com
Oh My Girls!™ is the *first-ever* healthy living center for girls. It offers uniquely styled programs specifically designed to help developing girls stay fit and fabulous for life. Offerings include fitness classes (Zumba, Pilates, yoga, kickboxing, cardiodance, and more) and hands-on, healthy cooking classes (international, vegetarian, gluten-free, and healthy baking.) Also offered are a wide variety of workshops focused on the social needs of girls that guarantee to help your daughter become her greatest self.
The Long Island Volunteer Center offers local volunteer opportunities. These activities include working with adults and children with special needs, animal organizations, children and youth services, community development and housing programs, protecting the environment, emergency preparedness, advocating for health issues, hospitals, addressing hunger on Long Island, museums and the arts, nursing homes and rehabilitation centers, veterans and military families, and organizing donations. There is also information about family volunteer opportunities and project ideas. Some of these opportunities have age-restrictions.
For more information and to get involved you can visit their website: http://www.longislandvolunteercenter.org/Local_Opportunities